Tuesday, September 21, 2010

i know i'm not supposed to have favorites...but...

You may have heard this story already...

Monday morning is the hardest. Eight am is just so early. But that first class of the week is my favorite by far! They are so fun and talkative. I don't have to pull teeth like some of the other classes. They are so active.

Today we talked about holidays. Thanksgiving is my favorite to talk about. It's not only a great time with family, but it's fun to talk about turkeys when people have no idea what they are. There are no turkeys in this part of the world. They do import them and I can get one for Thanksgiving, but they are not in surplus. The students are curious about the taste and what exactly a turkey is. They keep comparing it to a chicken, I always reply with, "It's so much better than chicken!" "It's bigger than a chicken." "It's a bird, but not a chicken."

They said they don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I said, "So sad." Apparently, I say this often while teaching. They asked if we had a festival for mid-autumn/full moon in America. I told them we didn't. And then they did the most amazing and wonderful thing...they said with all the mockery in the world, "So sad!" I burst into laughter. I wasn't completely sure they were mocking me at first, turns out there were. They asked if we had a day for single people, like the opposite of Valentine's Day. I told them we didn't. "So sad!" they jeered. Teasing is my one true love language.

I love my students and I really love teaching. The longer I am here and the more that time goes by, I'm certain this is exactly where I should be and this is exactly what I should be doing...Thanks Father

No comments:

Post a Comment