Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Olympic Day (Part 2)

If you have not read Olympic Day Part 1, you should go and read it now.


Olympic Day Part One


There is a large square in my city. I don’t know if these things actually exist in America. It’s a large flat area where people can go hang out. Sometimes there are dances, performances, movies, celebrations, lots of people. It’s a free-to-use-space for anyone. It’s fun to go to. This particular night was a the Olympic Celebration. The city wanted to encourage people to be healthy and remember the Olympic Games from 2008. So, there was a performance from different sports.

As my friend, Summer and I were waiting for it to begin, we went to say hi to her friend. When we found the Latin dance “team,” I found out I had two friends of my own who were in the performance. They were quite excited to see me there. Then all of the sudden, there was a woman shouting at me to come to her. Quickly! So, I ran over there and Summer told me we were supposed to wear these sporty shirts and represent the ping pong group. But I told her, I can’t play well and I didn’t want to perform. Summer said she didn’t think we actually had to perform; it was all just for appearance purposes. So, I agreed to it, but I was still a little nervous that I was being lied to.

The show began. There was a TV station there and there were some boring speeches. But THEN everyone stood up and my friend told me we had to take an oath. Of course, just for appearances. I became really nervous. I didn’t want to take an oath. I didn’t even know what was being said. Summer said it was something about promising to be healthy and encourage others and help the city, blah, blah, blah. However, I refused to raise my hand or repeat the words.

After the Latin dance, Summer and I decided to do a little walking. We mostly talked about nothing. But I moved the conversation to spiritual things. She said she wants to read the Bible sometime together. And she said she’s interested, but so busy right now. She is studying for a bunch of tests. But she is confused about Christianity. She thinks it’s all based on what you do and don’t do, how much good you put in the world. That is one of the most frustrating things to hear from someone. She then told me about a “Christian” she met in another city. She smokes and drinks which other than doing those things in EXCESS and UNRESPONSIBLY, I don’t really have a problem with. But then Summer told me about the girl’s other activities with boys and saddened my heart to know she was tarnishing the name of my Lord and God. To ruin His reputation is one of the worst things she could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment