Sunday, August 28, 2011

Moon Cakes


A couple blog posts back I told you about my new baking friend. I will now refer to her as Sara Lee. Sweet Sara Lee. I really LOVE her. She is a true gem and I think there is a lot in store for our friendship.

I also love zucchini bread. Recently Wal-Mart had some zucchinis, so I shredded it and froze it. I decide to thaw some out and make some muffins for her.

I went to her shop around 4 that day. She was really excited to see me and greeted me with a warm hug. I gave her the muffins and she was eager to try them. Then she said she had to make something. I could tell I had surprised her a little. But I told her I would just sit and talk and help if she would let me. She said she needed to get things ready and then I could help. So, I sat and waited.

Later, when all things were ready, I found out we were making moon cakes. There is a Mid-Autumn Festival here. And moon cakes are a must-have. They are a sweet or sour or meaty or fruity pastry. I had never made them before, but I was really curious how they are made.

Fruit filling is rolled into a ball. The outer batter/dough is wrapped around it. Then a moon cake press is used to force it into the final shape. It was really fun. For the first 20. I’m pretty sure we ended up making 200+.

I should tell you moon cakes are like a very dense pastry. When I heard moon cake, I thought of moon pie. Chocolately, soft with marshmallow filling.

I really enjoy practicing language with her. She really tries to help me understand. Her English is better than she thinks it is. Anyways, she was asking me if American men are “big?” Or I thought she was saying big. I also heard her say something about wife. I was really confused, but I said yes anyway. I know most people here think Americans are big. We are. But we are bigger than the average national here. I then tried to tell her men in America are bigger than national men. She starts cracking up!!! Like really laughing. I couldn't understand. But then it all came together. She said, “Not big! Beat! Do they beat their wives? Do American men hit their wives?” I literally said, “Oh!!!” And then said I sorry and embarrassed. But yes, it happens sometimes. But I said I’m sure it happens here too. She agreed.

When I think I've got a handle on the language, I’m reminded there is so much more to learn. In all things…

No comments:

Post a Comment