Monday, August 8, 2011

Olympic Day (Part 1)


Who knew it was Olympic/Athlete Day on 08/08? Well, I have heard two different things. Today is the second Father's day. The number 8 in language sounds like father in the language. I also heard that today is the day that the Olympic Games opened in 2008. So, it's like "be fit" day. Little did I know what was in store...

I had a lazy morning but started my afternoon with lunch at one of my favorite restuarants. It's rice and veggies cooked in a clay pot. Yummy! Then I headed to my favorite coffee place to read a while. PAUSE-BREAK While in language tutoring this morning I said a little prayer about wanting to find someone to practice with. UNPAUSE I enjoyed my Blue Berry soda while reviewing memory verses and got a Iced Americano to go from the coffee shop. I walked across the street to the "Bakery Store." I wanted to buy some cream to ATTEMPT to make Mango Sorbet.

After finding exactly what I wanted, I went to the "register" to pay. And that's when the humbling began...I believe the cream cost 40 units and I had 38. I was so embarrassed. But because I go "often," the boss-lady was super nice and said it didn't matter. As I'm getting ready to go, I hear everyone talking about me in language, which is not uncommon. They are saying I'm a teacher at the university and I am American. All true. Then one of the customers asked me if I wanted to be her friend. I misunderstood, because I'm awesome like that, and thought she asked if I had a boyfriend. So, when I said I don't have, everyone burst into laughter. She smiled and repeated herself. Then I told her I could be her friend. The plan was she was going to help me with language and I was going to help her with English. Prayer Answered



So, we decided we would go have tea together. But first she had to go to somewhere to make something. I should've guessed what, we did meet in a bakery supply store. Then she told me we could go on her motorbike. It's more like a scooter, but I was super excited. Then it got even better. She had a helmet for me to borrow!!!! So, we hop on and scoot all the way across town. She is giggling the whole time and every time she speaks or I speak. This is really okay with me because that is how I feel about the whole situation. We arrive at her place of business. She bakes cakes. So, for about 2 hours I sit and watch her make cake things and ask about her family and life. It was super fun!!! I really loved it.



I have to tell her I have to go though because I'm supposed to watch a Latin dance performance with a friend. She walks me to the bus stop and she lets me know she really wants to meet again and practice English again. I tell her I would love to see her again. Maybe next week I'll make cookies and visit her.

*STAYED TUNED TO HEAR ABOUT THE LATIN PERFORMANCE*

No comments:

Post a Comment