Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Need Directions?

What a wonderful language day today!!! It's fun to practice most of the time. But sometimes I just don't know how to use new words in every day conversations. Or sometimes, words I learn aren't really words for conversations with shopkeepers or taxi drivers.

Anyway, I tutor a boy and girl Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. On my way to their house, my taxi driver asked me the typical questions; how long have you been here? what do you teach? where are you going? how old are you? I politely asked him: do you have kids? how old are you? what's your name?

Then he asked some other questions and told me about his kids. I could actually answer and understand him. BUT that is not the great part...

My tutees live on a side street. So, as I approached a bigger street to hail down a taxi, a giant semi-truck pulled over in front of me. The passenger got out and walked towards me. At first, I couldn't hear him or understand him. But as he approached he said, "Ooooh," realizing I was not Asian.

Now, keep in mind the following conversation took place in this countries language.


Me: I'm so embarrassed. I'm so sorry.
Man: Do you know where BuBuGao is?
Me: Uhhh...?
Man: BuBuGao. The supermarket. Do you know where it is?
Me: Oh! Do you know YY Tower? Do you know where YY Tower is?
Man: Yes. I know. I know.
Me: It's near YY Tower.
Man: I understand. Okay.
Me: Okay.
Man: Thank you. (Then in English - "Shank you.")


He hops back in his truck and drives away.

And I am a happy duck. I gave someone directions in the third language I kind of know. And he understood me. I also felt very Asian, in the sense of helping a complete stranger.

What a good day~!

No comments:

Post a Comment