Friday, November 19, 2010

Dawn


I may have told you all before about my tutor Dawn. I met her this summer and she's a pretty great girl. She's funny. She's spunky. And she wants to teach a foreigner English. Well, that's how it all started, kind of.

This summer, Brandi (one of my greatest and dearest friends) and I talked to her about Jesus and his importance. She seemed much more eager to learn than her friend, Michelle. But ever since we started tutoring, she shyed away from the subject. I was a little discouraged, but I continued to pray for her and ask every time if she had read anything new in her Bible. Each time she said no.

Flash forward to last week: She came over and I noticed she brought her Bible. We usually study language for 2 hours. Half way through, she says, "I want to learn about this." And holds out her Bible. What a blessing!!! I was so excited. I asked a couple questions to see what she remembered from this summer and she remembered pretty much everything. Then I told her the Creation story and the Fall of Man. She listened intently. We talked about souls, death and sin.

I also had a weird moment. I realized people here don't really believe in an absolute Truth. Truth to them can be relative. She doesn't believe she has a soul, but I do. And we are both right. We both believe two, opposing thoughts, but both are true, or so that is people here believe.

Even though I didn't push to tell her, I didn't think that was possible, I gave her an assignment. She is supposed to read 5 chapters before we meet next. I think she will really do it. I'm excited to meet with her soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment